ST.CHARLES PARISH LOUISIANA
St. Charles Parish is bounded by Lafourche and Jefferson Parishes on the south, Lafourche and St. John the Baptist Parishes on the west, St. John the Baptist Parish on the north and Jefferson Parish on the east. The parish is bisected by the Mississippi River. The area to the south and west of the Mississippi River is located in the Barataria Basin, but on the northeastern side of the river, the parish is part of the Pontchartrain Basin. Lake Pontchartrain is found on the northeastern edge of the parish. St. Charles Parish, one of the original parishes created after the Louisiana purchase, was founded in 1807. The parish was named for the St. Charles Borromeo Church in Destrehan. Today the parish land area covers 279 square miles.
|St. Charles Parish Government||stcharlesparish-la.gov|
|St. Charles Parish School District||Stcharles.k12.la.us|
|River Region Chamber of Commerce||riverregionchamber.org|
|River Parishes Tourist Commission||visitnopc.com|
|Port of South Louisiana||portsl.com|
|River Parishes Community College/Reserve Campus||rpcc.edu/admissions/reserve-campus|
|Greater New Orleans, Inc.||gnoinc.org|
|Barataria Terrebonne National Estuary Program||btnep.org|
|Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation||saveourlake.org|
|US Army Corps of Engineers Bonnet Carre Spillway||mvn.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Bonnet-Carre-Spillway|
|Louisiana National Register of Historic Places Database||crt.state.la.us/dataprojects/hp/nhl/index.asp|
Population, 2010: 52,780
Population Estimate, 2019: 53,100
County Seat: Hahnville
There are no municipal governments in the Parish. Census Designated Places (CDP) in St. Charles include the following:
|2018 Estimated Population||CDP||
2018 Estimated Population
One CDP, Des Allemands, is located in both Lafourche and St. Charles Parishes.
For more demographic data visit www.statsamerica.org.
Updated May 2020