Highway Safety Coalition in South Central LA since October 1999
The South Central Regional Safety Coalition, formerly known as the South Central Safe Community Partnership (SCSCP), is a traffic safety coalition comprised of multidisciplinary partners/agencies throughout the parishes of Assumption, Lafourche, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Mary and Terrebonne.
Tasked with the implementation of the regional version of the LA Strategic Highway Safety Plan, coined the South Central Regional Transportation Safety Plan (http://www.scpdc.org/wp-content/uploads/SCRTSP-Updated-Feb-2013_withAug2013Status.pdf) , the dedicated team of partners are charged with implementing highway safety projects and programs across the South Central Region in an effort to reduce fatalities and serious injuries in the region by 50% by 2030.
Utilizing the 4E Approach (Engineering, Education, Enforcement, and Emergency Medical Services), our South Central Regional Safety Coalition partners, in collaboration with Federal Highway Administration, Louisiana DOTD, Louisiana Highway Safety Commission, the Houma-Thibodaux MPO and other LA Metropolitan Planning Organizations, LSU Highway Safety Research Group, Louisiana Transportation Research Center, and other federal, state, regional and local partners work together to analyze data, identify strategies, prioritize resources and implement data-driven action steps from our 5 emphasis areas:
- Impaired Driving (alcohol & drugged related)
- Occupant Protection (proper restraint of adults, teens, children and infants)
- Crashes Involving Young Drivers (15-24 years of age involved in a crash)
- Infrastructure & Operations (Roadway Departure & Intersection related crashes)
- Vulnerable Road Users (Pedestrian, Bicycle & Motorcycle involved crashes)
“Capturing Safety through the Eyes of a Teen” Traffic Safety Contest
Submissions are accepted from October 10, 2016- February 10, 2017, please see below for guidelines and submission documents.
We welcome you to join our life saving team of law enforcement partners, educators, engineers, emergency personal, and many other traffic safety advocates throughout our region and state . . . Because it takes EVERYONE to reach our goal of DESTINATION ZERO DEATHS!
OTHER ACTIONS THAT YOU CAN TAKE TO REDUCE FATALITIES & SERIOUS INJURIES ON OUR ROADWAY:
- Drive Sober at all times and report Impaired Drivers
- Buckle Up, Every Trip and Every Seat
- Focus all of your attention on the road when driving
- Report highway/traffic safety concerns via email to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org ?subject=Online Safety Concern or through our Houma-Thibodaux MPO website at (http://www.htmpo.org/highway-safety-concern-home/)
- Encourage others to do all of the above
SCRSC MEETING INFORMATION:
The South Central Regional Safety Coalition hold quarterly meetings 3rd Thursday of the middle month of each quarter at 10:00 AM (February, May, August, and November). The Executive Committee meets as needed prior to the regularly scheduled quarterly meetings. We also have specific emphasis area focus group meetings that are scheduled throughout the year for those that are interested in working on a specific emphasis area. If you would like to be placed on our distribution list, please email Ms. Cassie Parker at email@example.com or call 985-851-2900.
SOUTH CENTRAL REGIONAL SAFETY COALITION OFFICERS:
Chairman, Captain Frank Besson, LA State Police Troop C Commander
Vice Chairman, Chief Bryan Zeringue, Thibodaux PD
Impaired Driving Team Leader: Dennis Bergeron, LSP-C
Young Driver Team Leader/Co-Leader: Jesse LaGrange, LSP-C, Danielle Duplantis, TGMC & Lt. Bobbie O’Bryan, HPD
Occupant Protection Team Leader/Co-Leader: Sgt. Troy Leonard, LSP-C and Nicole Souldier, DHH, & Sgt. Albert Pierre, HPD
Vulnerable Road Users Team Leader: Unfilled Position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Regional Transportation Safety Coordinator: Cassie M. Parker, SCPDC
CONNECT WITH US!
WE SUPPORT THE FOLLOWING CAMPAIGNS:
FREE – Louisiana Passenger Safety Task Force Fitting Stations http://www.lahighwaysafety.org/pdf/Fitting_Stations.pdf
Federal Highway Administration – http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/
LA Department of Transportation & Development – http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Multimodal/Highway_Safety/Pages/default.aspx
Destination Zero Deaths – http://destinationzerodeaths.com/
National Highway Traffic Administration – http://www.nhtsa.gov/
Louisiana Highway Safety Commission – http://www.lahighwaysafety.org/
Highway Safety Research Group – http://hsrg.lsu.edu/
Governors Highway Safety Association — http://www.ghsa.org/
Houma-Thibodaux MPO – http://www.htmpo.org/
Traffic Safety Marketing – http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/
WE ARE 1 OF 9 REGIONAL COALITIONS THROUGHOUT LOUISIANA:
Below is a list of agencies that commonly comprise membership of the regional coalitions: (HOWEVER, WE WELCOME ANY PARTNER(S) INTERESTED IN TRAFFIC SAFETY)
- Representatives from state/federal agencies (FHWA, DOTD, State Police and Highway Safety Commission, OMV and ATC)
- State Police Troops, Sheriff’s Offices and Local Police Departments
- Parish School Boards and Universities
- Driving Schools
- Parish/City Government (or in some cases, Parish Police Jury)
- Safety Advocacy Groups (i.e MADD, ADAC, Bicycle Groups, Runners Association, Neighborhood Watch, etc.)
- State Hospitals and Trauma Centers
- Fire Departments and Ambulance Groups
- District Attorney and/or ADA Offices
- DOTD Districts
- Insurance Agencies (State Farm, Progressive, etc.)
- Private Companies (State Farm, Wal-Mart, Shell Oil, etc.)
- Tri-Media Stations