As a regional planning commission, SCPDC is ideally situated to both monitor and recommend direction to its members regarding regional planning issues. In this capacity, SCPDC has supported local efforts to develop and implement comprehensive plans, and update and improve land use codes and other implementation tools. The Commission has assisted in the preparation of Master Recreation Plans and Master Plans. SCPDC works closely with other regional agencies such as the Barataria Terrebonne National Estuary Program, to realize mutual goals. The Commission staff is available to member communities who need assistance in fulfilling their local planning needs. In this vein, the Community Planning and Services Department of SCPDC assists member communities with the following efforts:
- Assistance to communities in preparing and administering Louisiana Community Development Block Grants and Disaster Recovery Community Development Block Grants, EDA, EPA and other grant programs
- Codification of Ordinances
- Assistance with Transit Planning and Implementation
- Area contact for the Delta Regional Authority
- Community Planning
- Other programs and projects as requested by member communities
St. James’ Convent Water Plant Increased Capacity was completed in 2011 with assistance through a $1.6 million public infrastructure grant from the U. S. Economic Development Administration. SCPDC assisted St. James in preparing and administering its EDA grant.
New Assumption Parish Administration Building with 8,700 sqft of office space and a new Police Jury meeting room. It was completed in 2012 with $2.6 million from using Gustav Ike Disaster Recovery funds. SCPDC is assisting Assumption Parish in the preparation and administration of the Gustav Ike Disaster Recovery Allocation of $26.8 million.